Apply for PR in Canada as a Temporary Foreign Worker

Are you currently a temporary foreign worker (TFW) in Canada? Do you consider staying in Canada permanently?

The federal government of Canada employs various immigration programs for individuals who possess certain qualifications. These qualifications are measured in several factors such as age, work experience, level of education, English or French language proficiency, among others. They are considered as contributing factors that one must possess to be competitive and productive once they are immersed in the Canadian labour workforce.

In a country as diverse as Canada, reality screams of a cutthroat competition to dive in and make it to the Canadian labour force. In an ocean of skilled and highly qualified immigrants, what can make an applicant outshine others? It is worth reiterating at this point that there are immigration programs with certain qualification requirements unique to other programs. The opportunity to outshine others is in your own diligent research to find these programs where your qualifications will fit in.

One important thing to know is that if you are a foreign national in Canada as a temporary foreign worker (TFW), you are one step ahead in applying for permanent residence. On a federal level, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) offers several immigration programs for you particularly if you are presently working in an occupation that is categorised in Canada’s National Occupation Classification (NOC) as NOC 0, A or B. Jobs belonging to this category are management jobs, professional jobs that require a degree from a university, or technical jobs that require a diploma from college. Examples of these are restaurant managers, doctors, dentists, chefs, plumbers, etc. If you meet other eligibilities (i.e. age, education, etc.), you may apply through the Express Entry system in three categories:

  • Federal Skilled Worker (FSW)
  • Federal Skilled Trades (FST)
  • Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

Measurement of one’s eligibility is through assigned points in the different factors (i.e. age, work experience, education, etc.). IRCC assigns points to these factors and the number of points you obtained at the time of application determines your eligibility to apply. This is where the experience you gained while working in Canada as a TFW gives you additional points in your overall eligibility points.

Caregivers also fall under the TFW category. Caregivers are being sought after due to a big chunk of Canadians entering the retirement age, based on report conducted by Statistics Canada. Hence, IRCC provided a separate program through the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or Home Support Worker Pilot for caregivers who want to live permanently in Canada.

There are other provinces in Canada that also offer certain immigration programs for individuals whose work experience in Canada as a TFW falls in NOC C and D. These jobs require high school and or job-specific training, or on-the-job training. Examples of these are long-haul truck drivers, food and beverage servers, fruit pickers, etc. These provinces in Canada offer their immigration programs through the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP).

It is worth noting that Canada’s immigration programs may seem complex and daunting with all its intricacies, but conscientious and meticulous research is the key.  Keep in mind that once you are already in Canada as a TFW, your chances to gain permanent residence may be one notch higher.

If you seem to be out of solutions, the universe has a vast sea of information. Seek help one way or another.

Reposted from Baybayin News.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *